Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My First Blog Entry

So, I am attempting blogging. It seems like a good idea as I think if my family has to listen anymore to me go on and on about my various obsessions, they'll shoot me. Joe Mallozzi, the producer and writer of Stargate: Universe, said he blogs as a writing exercise.

To quote:
"A writer writes – even though many of them hate it – and I’ve always believed that the only way to improve as a writer is, well, to write. And this blog has given me the opportunity to do just that. Sure, there’ve been times when I haven’t felt like posting, days when I’ve wanted to give it up, and yet I’ve soldiered on because this little online forum has ultimately proven itself very fulfilling. Frustrating, annoying, maddening, lonely, heartbreaking, and frightening. But, ultimately, incredibly satisfying."
Joe Mallozzi, July 27, 2009

What he says is very true. There are days that I have so many ideas that want out of my head I just can't get them all down. Then there are other days where all I want to do is write and there are crickets chirping in my head. So, I feel like blogging might help me be a more consistent writer.

I also want to be able to get my various rants and praises. And tonight I begin with the recent Emmy nominations. I know I am a little late to the party but I really wanted to do some research before I went off half-cocked. Although, I probably will be kind of half-cocked. A couple of years ago, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences changed the rules to make it "more fair" and vary who may be nominated. Honestly, I haven't seen a difference. The same shows and actors get nominated and the same shows and actors always win. I am not diminishing what the winners did to get to the Emmys. Hell, it IS a huge honor just to be nominated one I would love to be honored with someday. My problem is there are huge discrepencies(and that may not be the word I am looking for) in who is nominated. To be honest, I haven't watched most of the nominated shows. I watch House and love Hugh Laurie. The rest of the nominated shows I have never seen. I can't watch the ones on HBO and I am not really interested in the others. Its not their fault I don't watch and I am not going to say anything bad about them. My problem is the shows that get ignored and why they are ignored.

Battlestar Galactica has consistently given truly great performances the entire time it was on. You can't really single out one actor or one episode that was better then another. They all had the opportunity to shine and many times they did shine. And with the exception of technical awards, the show has never been recognized with an acting nod or best drama nod. Every year, I think, finally, they will get nominated. Every year, they are not except for the technical awards. There is no reason why it hasn't been nominated. Another show that has not been nominated, and while I realize it is not a popular choice and I welcome the flames, Supernatural. Jared Padlecki and Jensen Ackles(especially Jensen) has given some truly great performances. Yet, still no recogniction. Lets go to Bones. Again, terrific performances and they get ignored. Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz have given great performances especially in Season 2's Alien's in a Spaceship, Season 3's The Verdict in the Story and Season 4's Hero in the Hold.

I just don't get how these shows get ignored. Why? Did the show runners do something to piss off the Academy? They must of. It seems like these new rules did nothing to help the Emmy's. The same shows get nominated, the same ones win. I think the reason the ratings for the televised Awards is down is because of this. Who wants to see The Sopranos win yet again? Every year they were on they were nominated and they won. I didn't need to watch that.

So what am I trying to say? I don't know. Like I said, its a rant. I needed to get it out of my system. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why I stopped caring about these kinds of awards. Good rant :)

Silwyna